Monday 28 January 2019

Reign Of The Supermen - A Superb Part Two

Certificate – 12
Directed By – Sam Liu
Starring – Jerry O’Connell; Rebecca Romijn; Rainn Wilson; Cameron Monaghan; Cress Williams; Charles Halford; Patrick Fabian; Rosario Dawson; Jason O’Mara; Nathan Fillion; Christopher Gorham.
Running Time – 87 Minutes (1 Hour 27 Minutes)

★★★★★

REIGN OF THE SUPERMEN is available now on Digital Download, Blu-ray™ and DVD

As part one of The Death of Superman came out on Home Entertainment at during the summer of 2018, we had to wait until the new year to see part two of this iconic DC Comics/ Superman story with The Reign of Supermen.

It’s been months since the unfathomable death of Superman, and the world is still shaken when four Super Heroes arrive in Metropolis, all battling to be the reincarnation of the Man of Steel. Even Metropolis isn’t big enough for these brawlers, it’s only a matter of time until dark forces make their moves from the shadows.

I don’t know how much I can praise this movie after the superb The Death of Superman, but simply this is a fantastic part two and continues the fantastic legacy of DC Animation and would be over two hours of an incredible movie.

I was never a Superman fan until Man of Steel, but this will easily be added onto the list as to why I now love the character and this story has been written into the comic book history and on everyone’s must-read list.

Liu continues to do a fantastic job and whilst watching it make me hope he’ll come back or hopefully direct a big screen DC animated film. Additionally, this would’ve been the ideal story to tell after Superman dying in Batman v Superman in a Man of Steel 2 before Justice League.

As for the voice cast they were as fantastic as last time. I’ve grown to love Wilson as Lex Luthor to the point it rivals Clancy Brown and the same goes for O’Connell, who has now easily in my top three Supermen (behind Henry Cavill and as an animated Justice League/ Justice League: Unlimited fan, I grew up with George Newman in my head).

As for the voices of the Supermen, Williams nails it as Steel and would be the top pick to have played him in live action, As a Superboy fan from Young Justice, Monaghan does a great job of making the character his own.


Elsewhere, Halford made The Eradicator a menacing character and someone I think would be a great villain and the same does for Fabian’s talents on Cyborg Superman to the point I thought O’Connell was doing double duty.

As a fanboy, I was hoping maybe just maybe Liu had something up his hand and had Newman come in and to do Cyborg Superman.

What I did enjoy was not only the film being a continuation of Death of Superman, but the fan it is set in the New 52 universe to bring back the events of Justice League: War, the first film set in this world.

I know I repeat myself when it comes to DCA films but the animation was superb to the point it annoys me not more people watch these as the success of Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse proves money is there to be made for big screen animated superhero movies.

Verdict

A fantastic part two to The Death of Superman, the animation is superb as are the voice work and continues the New 52 universe story.

No comments:

Post a Comment