Thursday 9 June 2016

The Conjuring 2 - Scared The Living Shit Out Of Me

Certificate – 15
Directed by – James Wan
Starring – Vera Farmiga; Patrick Wilson; Frances O’Connor; Madison Wolfe; Simon McBurney; Franka Potenta; Lauren Esposito; Patrick McAuley; Benjamin Haigh; Shannon Kook.
Running Time – 130 minutes (2 hours 10 minutes)
★★★½

IMAGE VIA WARNER BROS

Before I get into my review I must let you know I’m not a fan of horror films, so while I was waiting for the film to start at the screening I’m still trying to figure out why the hell (pun intended) I saw this film. Because this isn’t an episode of Scooby-Doo.

The Conjuring 2 sees the return of wife and husband demonologists Lorraine and Ed Warren (Farmiga and Wilson) travelling to London to help a single mother raising four children alone in a house plagued by malicious spirits.

IMAGE VIA WARNER BROS

To be honest, I should have known what I was getting into considering this is the most documented and terrifying paranormal investigations ever. Plus the fact ‘The Conjuring’ made more than $319 million worldwide, it’s easy to see why they made a sequel.

Also, having Wan back was a smart move for the franchise as he’s the star of the film. Wan’s directed a brilliant film with some great imagery and you can understand why he’s one of the hottest and best directors working today.

He obviously used a look of dark colours, even  in the daytime it was grey, but he did add a lot of light. You can say the same of the tone of the film and script as it did have its bright, humourous moments in the midst of this dark, terrifying film.

IMAGE VIA WARNER BROS

The cast was also brilliant, from what I saw when I wasn’t covering/closing my eyes, Farmiga and Wilson have great chemistry, but also when they have scenes to themselves they show what great actors they were. 

Madison Wolfe was also a stand out and did a brilliant job from being sweet and scared to then completely do a 180 and transform to creepy. Ultimately, you cared about the whole family as well as Ed and Lorraine’s loving marriage.

IMAGE VIA WARNER BROS

The film did feel long and you could cut a lot of stuff in the middle, however, if you’re a horror fan then I think you’ll enjoy the cliché jump, but this film also as some genuine scares with the most terrifying nun in a movie. 

Otherwise, if you’re not a fan of horror DO NOT SEE THIS FILM because you won’t enjoy it, even if you were with friends.

IMAGE VIA WARNER BROS


Verdict
James Wan, I respect you, but you suck. You directed a brilliant film and I can’t wait to see what you do with Aquaman. The cast and script were great, but the film was too long.  

No comments:

Post a Comment